May 2, 2020
Insights from @naval on meditation. A powerful thread.
- Meditation is not you going through thoughts – it’s letting thoughts go through you.
- Yoga cultivates Peace of Body. Meditation cultivates Peace of Mind.
- Meditation and transcendence are the birthrights of every human being.
- Consider meditation as “self-therapy.” Instead of paying a therapist to listen to you, listen to yourself (non-judgementally) until you accept or drop the fears.
- Meditation, arts and artisanship, craftsmanship, politics, are other activities with learning curves detached from physical ability.
- Meditation is turning off society and listening to yourself. It only “works” when done for its own sake.
- Insight meditation lets you run your brain in debug mode until you realize that you’re just a subroutine in a larger program.
- Perhaps one reason why yoga and meditation are hard to sustain is that they have no extrinsic value. Purely single-player games.
- Meditation is intermittent fasting for the mind. Too much sugar leads to a heavy body, and too many distractions lead to a heavy mind.
- If meditation was easy, you’d do nothing else.